Bozeman Curling Club Strategic Plan (2015-2020) 8/15/2014
The mission of the Bozeman Curling Club (BCC) is to foster, promote, and advance the understanding and development of the sport of curling in the Bozeman, Montana Area.
GOAL 1: Promote curling through teaching the sport to the people of the Bozeman area.
OBJECTIVE 1: Develop and deliver educational tools and clinics to people of the Bozeman area.
ACTIVITY 1: Conduct clinics for area schools and the University of Montana.
ACTIVITY 2: Conduct Learn to Curl sessions for the general public at least once each year.
ACTIVITY 3: Maintain a comprehensive network to promote curling using various media outlets.
- Project 1: Maintain and inform social media venues (such as the BCC website and Facebook) as major communication tools within the club and for the public.http://www.bozemancurlingclub.com These dynamic social interfaces should provide information about the sport of curling, BCC events, the organization of the Club, links to Mountain Pacific Curling Organization (MoPac), the network of curling clubs in Montana, Idaho, Washington, southern British Columbia and Alberta Canada, Bonspiel information, membership and team registration, and other educational tools and information.
- Project 2: Develop a media strategy to promote curling including advertising and other tools that will keep curling opportunities and events in the public eye.
- Project 3: Create and maintain a Youth Committee to foster the development of a junior’s curling program that could compete locally, regionally or in National events.
- Project 4: Maintain a Learn to Curl Committee to actively seek and manage new curling opportunities for the Bozeman area.
- Project 5: Seek out and host possible Learn to Curl sessions in adjacent or nearby communities.
- Project 6: Participate in the development of the Montana Curling Network organization to reach out to clubs in Montana, Idaho, Washington, southern BC and Alberta Canada to facilitate curling related development, and Montana, Regional, and International curling opportunities.
OBJECTIVE 2: Maintain, operate, equip, and support the curling leagues and annual bonspiels.
ACTIVITY 1: Develop and maintain curling leagues during the winter and spring seasons to provide opportunities for diverse recreational and competitive curling in Bozeman.
ACTIVITY 2: Sponsor and organize at least one Bonspiel annually to provide opportunities for area curlers to host curlers from out of the area to enjoy curling in the Bozeman area.
ACTIVITY 3: Support or facilitate BCC teams to attend other local, regional or national curling events
ACTIVITY 4: Attract regional and national curling events
- Project 1: Put on the Bozeman local or regional Bonspiel each spring.
- Project 2: Develop feasibility and deliver a Bonspiel in nearby communities.
- Project 3: Maintain a Bonspiel committee as the point of contact for Club Bonspiels and information conduit for out of the area Bonspiels
- Project 4: Maintain a league Coordinating Committee and a lead to manage league business including league schedules and playoff draws.
- Project 5: Each season, update and refresh curling equipment.
- Project 6: Develop a strategic approach to facilitate BCC teams traveling to Regional or National or International Bonspiels.
- Project 7: Develop facilities and a business model that will attract national level curling competitions to Bozeman
OBJECTIVE 3: Promote goodwill, sportsmanship and good welfare among BCC members
ACTIVITY 1: Sponsor club parties and events to foster member relationships
ACTIVITY 2: Coordinate league social events
- Project 1: Host a beginning of the season membership party.
- Project 2: Coordinate pot lucks each year during league play.
- Project 3: Host an end of the curling season social event.
- Project 4: Develop and maintain a Special Events Committee to promote club socials or other special public gathering opportunities such as open houses.
OBJECTIVE 4: Promote and develop the growth and capacity for curling opportunities and facilities in Bozeman
ACTIVITY 1: Develop and maintain a strategic plan for curling capacity and facilities.
- Project 1: Develop a committee to lead the expansion of ice time including the alternative of development of dedicated ice for curling in Bozeman.
- Project 2: Develop grants and or identify and pursue fund raising opportunities to expand curling opportunities and facilities in the Bozeman area.
ACTIVITY 2: Continually evaluate organizational structure and explore improvements.
GOAL 2: Manage the BCC to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
OBJECTIVE 1: Increase work capacity.
ACTIVITY 1: Hire paid staff to undertake administrative tasks as growth shows a need.
- Project 1: Employ a league coordinator position or strategy to administer leagues.
- Project 2: Hire a paid accountant part time to maintain fiscal functions.
- Project 3: Develop a series of committees and appoint leads that will do the heavy lifting for specialized functions as part of the organization of the board of directors.
- Project 4: Employ an intern to help the fiscal improvement of the club.
OBJECTIVE 2: Maintain a membership base of like-minded individuals who provide basic financial support for operational needs and promote the mission, goals and objectives of the BCC.
ACTIVITY 1: Organize local events to engage membership and to raise operational funds.
OBJECTIVE 3: Garner financial support from potential sponsors of the BCC.
ACTIVITY 1: Develop and maintain the 501c3 nonprofit status with the IRS.
ACTIVITY 2: Develop BCC budget goals and formulate a fundraising strategy.
ACTIVITY 3: Identify timelines for granting cycles and apply for grants.
ACTIVITY 4: Cultivate relationships with possible donors such as service clubs.
1. Youth program
3. Open houses, Learn to curl and training and Social events (Fall party, potlucks on some games nights, annual meeting event as examples)
4. Seasonal Leagues
5. Promotional-Marketing and sponsorships (website, sponsorship funding, media outreach etc)
6. Strategic planning for expansion of ice availability/dedicated ice facility